Instagram is one of the most popular social networks for pictures. Due to this thing to do is about Instragram don´t hesitate to check ours!! 365ThingsMadrid :)
Instagramers Gallery Madrid starts with 500 images selected between 27 users (photographers) from 18 countries: 200 are Madrid´s corners captured by Instagram users and other 66 are the awards ones in the Instagramers Photo Prize.
Pictures. Photography. New art = Instagram? what do you think about it? are the new social networks opening new channels for art open world wide thanks to Internet??
To answer to this question or have new thoughts don´t miss this great initiative.
Don´t miss also the online exhibite with more than 12.000 users and 11.000 followers: instagramersgallery.fundaciontelefonica.com
Madrid is having a great initiative: show palaces for free to public.
Tones of people have been interested really soon and nowadays any reservation is available, but make sure you follow carefully the website: http://www.bienvenidosapalacio.es/ because new opportunities to participate and visit the Palaces shall appear soon.
The guided tours are free and Madrid wants to make closer these incredible buildings and their history to the public:
- April was dedicated to Marqués de Fontalba Palaces, now it is the Fiscalía General del Estado.
- May – Palacete de don Guillermo de Osma. It is the current Valencia don Juan Institute.
- June – Fernán Núñez Palace. It is hosting the current Spanish Ferrocarril Foundation.
- July – Casa-palacio de don Manuel González-Longoria. Nowadays it is the Colegio Notarial de Madrid.
- August – Godoy Palace the current use is to hold the Centro de Estudios Políticos y Constitucionales.
- September - Bauer Palace the current Superior Singing School.
The visits are in small groups (25 people) and the guides are Patrimonio employees.
Check their website often to catch the new tours as soon as they are published!!!
During Easter time, Madrid is having a complete activities program: cultural topics, concerts, activities for kids and religious events shall be spread in several locations until April 20th.
Check the official website to find all of them and explore the different options: http://www.semanasantamadrid.es/
For those that are visiting Madrid / Spain for the very first time, the Easter celebrations are very traditional and the religious events are probably very different to other parts of the world, feel free to join and see how it look like (even if you are not a very religious person, Easter in Madrid can be interesting).
Next week, we´ll try to suggest things to do out of this program, in order to give you more ideas to enjoy Madrid during Easter!!
Torrijas time is here!!!
This sweet, torrija, is originated in Andalucian convents during the XV century as a way to use up stale bread. Today it is a popular sweet during Easter all over Spain. The British call it bread pudding, while Americans would probably call it “French Toast” although torrijas…. is maybe a little bit different: cinnamon, wine or honey can be added to get a different flavor!!
You can find torrijas these days, every where, at bakeries and cafeterias, try them and if you want to try to make them at home, here you have the recipe :)
You need bread (they sell these days a special bread to make torrijas, try to find it), lemon, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup of sugar, cinnamon sticks, 1 1/2 cups of milk , olive oil and also if you want honey or wine to be added to the milk.
- Cut the bread into slices, 3/4 of an inch thick. The bread has to be thick to soak up all the milk!
- Peel the rind of a lemon, pour the milk, sugar, lemon rind and cinnamon sticks (if you like it) into a pot and bring it to boil. Once it becomes to boil, lower the flame and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes and, pour it onto the bread in a big dish or something similar where you can have the milk and the bread together. Turn the bread pieces over in the milk so that they soak up on both sides.
- Beat 2 eggs, then take each piece of bread and dip both sides into the egg. Place them in another dish to wait to fry.
- Heat some olive oil over a high flame as soon as it begins to smoke a little bit, lower the flame to medium and begin to fry torrijas!! when you see the bottoms begin to brown, turn them over.
- Last! take the torrijas to a nice plate an put on top some sugar. Honey can also be added.
Tell us how it was, and post your torrijas pictures on twitter!! @365ThingsMadrid
If you just want to try them… some of the best places in Madrid, or at least very popular and traditional ones are:
- PASTELERÍA NUNOS – Narváez, 63
- LA CASA DE LAS TORRIJAS – Paz, 4
- LA MALLORQUINA – Mayor, 2
- PASTELERÍA VAIT – Félix Boix, 9
- HORNO LA SANTIAGUESA – Mayor, 73
- ANTIGUA PASTELERÍA DEL POZO – Pozo, 8
- CASA MIRA – Carrera de San Jerónimo, 30
- CONFITERÍA EL RIOJANO – Mayor, 10
Other thing to do until the end of month it is to try the first Torrija´s route :) If you are a really great fan… don’t´hesitate to eat as much as you can!! :) exercise later also as much as you can because this sweet shall put some calories on you :) all the places that participate in this route can be find here.
We want to go on our tour by the Madrid less known parks, and today we will be visiting one of the newest parks in the city, the Manzanares lineal park.
Three elements structure the park as a whole : the layout of the Manzanares River , a pedestrian axis through the park in a straight line as an alternative to the river and an orthogonal grid of roads.
Traveling through the park from north to south we can find a Green Square, with crescent-shaped , the Ride of the Senses, bordered by tall trees with a footbridge large , square pitches with mazes, a leafy shade house and two fountains with water , a pergola , the Watchtower,the hill is crowned with a sculpture by Manuel Valdés ‘ the Lady of the Manzanares’.
It also has two soccer fields, multipurpose courts , children’s play area , changing rooms and toilets , the Meadow, a lawn and large Belvedere Park , with playgrounds and green.
Nice place to walk or jog to greet Lady of Manzanares and enjoy the riverside lanes !!
More info: http://ow.ly/uWUoR
Although looks like there are several dates all over the world to celebrate the kiss day (kiss day, stolen kiss day…), today, is the anniversary of the longest kiss ever: 46 hours 24 minutes and 9 seconds!!!
And in order to commemorate this record, today in Madrid we celebrate the International Kiss Day!!!July 6th is another of the dates regarding kiss celebration :) so, you have double opportunities to celebrate this day!!
Our thing to do for today is pretty awesome: Kiss, Kiss, Kiss the people you love and enjoy this Sunday!!
Robert Kemp in 1947 used the concept Fringe to name the no selected artists in the Edinburgh Festival as soon as they started to create a parallel festival that nowadays is part of the main one.
Madrid, a couple of years ago in the Veranos de la Villa festival (summer festival), started to create a festival with alternative representations about theater, dance, poetry, music, and kid shows.
Teatro Español is having a retrospective initiative about this Fringe movement. and the Scenic Art Festival more aggressive and alternative shall be offering 5 shows of high quality these days:
- Dance and video performance: “Partitura inestable”
- Theater “Symon Pédícrí”
- Theater “The Sirens”
- Audio visual interactive show – APNEA
- Theater “Punto Muerto”
Find more details at Teatro Español website
Tickets between 6 to 12 euros. Abono Madrid ReFringe: 36 euros.