Today, April 23rd Madrid is celebrating the IX edition of the night of the books, more than 600 activities are scheduled for today in Madrid, the best way to celebrate the International Book´s day. 530 writers, 200 book shops , 213 libraries and the main cultural centers in 58 cities and Madrid´s towns.
Some of the main events you should´t miss today are:
- Real Casa de Correos – Centro Centro building at Cibeles shall host two activities with 2 great writers: Salman Rushdie and Jean-Christophe Rufin
- Big Post it Mural at Sol: from Monday 21st everybody was welcome to participate in this mural made by post it representing the portrait of a very popular writer, do you kmow who is he?
- Callao Plaza: between 11 till 22h, 21 bookshops shall offer special titles and prices, also 20 writters from Madrid as Manuel Vilas, Javier Sagarna, Juan Carlos Márquez, Bruno Galindo, Ana Campoy, Javier Fonseca and Rubén Abella shall be participating in the initiative: “te duele aquí? te receto un libro” – as if they were doctors prescripting books to make you feel better.
- Book Shops: meeting point with authors as: Julio Llamazares, Luis García Montero, Eduardo Mendicutti, Javier Marías, Berna González Harbour, Andrés Barba, Emilio Lledó, Ángel Gabilondo, Jesús Marchamalo, Marta Rivera de la Cruz, Sebastián Álvaro, Fernando Cámara, Lola Beccaria, Marta Robles or Mauro Entrialgo.
- Libraries: story telling events for kids, poetry, workshops and exhibits are some of the activities that shall be host by the public libraries.
This year the slogan is: “Can you give a book as a present? yes I can”, take advantage of the 10% discount you shall find everywhere and get books for you or to give as a present!! :)
All the details of the events can be checked here
Today we would like to take you to the cinema, it is a cinema film in the theater.
Teatro de la Zarzuela brings today, April 22, The Circus Chaplin’s movie. It is a silent film where the soundtrack is played by a live orchestra.
This film was awarded an Oscar on his debut in 1928 , it is a masterpiece of silent cinema , in which the usual Chaplin gags are balanced with content feelings.
This movie , as a curiosity , was shot in a difficult time for Charles Chaplin during his second divorce, when his mother died. It was indeed stopped during 8 months, while the Federal Tax service coursed an inspection on Chaplin’s activity.
This movie was remade by Chaplin in 1948, we will enjoy this latest version , director ‘s remake, with the final sound track by Gunter Kochan . In 1970 Chaplin himself composed and performed the film music credits in the revival of the movie .
This time, the Madrid Regional Orchestra will perform the original soundtrack, live,letting you enjoy the expressiveness of the images from a silent film with the best musical accompaniment.
It is undoubtedly a great combination to enjoy a classic.
Following our park guide, today we suggest you to visit the Dahlias San Francisco park. This charming garden located on one side of the Basilica of San Francisco el Grande, between the streets of Gran Via Rosario and San Francisco.
The whole garden is dedicated to growing dahlias, of all kinds, whether pompon, cactus dahlias decorative or type. The best time to see them in all their glory is in early June , but have time to watch them grow from that spring begins, and then you can see them shine until October or so.
It is not a big park, it covers about 600 sq meters and was opened in May 2007. Previously this land , which belonged to the Church , were abandoned , and the council decided to reuse as public space. Thus, the city regained symbolically the Dalieda park, instead of the antique Madrid Dalieda garden located by the Manzanares riverside , which was destroyed during the redevelopment of the M -30.
From the park we have a beautiful view of the West of Madrid , the platform above The Cornice park allows us to discover the skyline of the capital every day. Quite recommended at sunset !!!
The park shows a sculpture dedicated to San Isidro Labrador , the saint of the city, on the side of the park there are benches to enjoy peacefully , because although it is not time for dahlias is a perfect place to sit and watch the sunsets.
Every year, at Plaza Mayor one of the closing events for the Easter time is the drumming Exhibition (tamborrada).
Don´t miss this opportunity of feel the sound of tones of drums!! Drums are able to transmit the vibrations and the feelings of listening to them is a unique experience.
For more details check the Easter website
Lhardy is one of the first and oldest restaurants in Madrid, and these days is celebrating its 125th anniversary!!
It was opened in 1839 by Emilio Huguenin Lhardy and it was said to have introduced French haute cuisine to Madrid. It is one of those places that still keeps the atmosphere of other times!
This restaurant was very popular in the XIX century and the XX one, and a lot of famous people spent time in the place:
- When the Queen Isabel II was 17 years old, in 1847, she visit this place without telling she was the Queen
- Federico Madrazo painted Emilio Lhardy in 1867
- The King Alfonso XII used the restaurant to meet Sesto Duch
- In 1896, in Zarzuela Theater, one of the representations spoke about the place
- in Lhardy´s japanese salon was founded the “Cofradía de la buena mesa” in 1972
- In 1916, Mata-Hari was capture and declared spy in the Palace Hotel after having lunch at Lhardy.
- Manuel Rodríguez “Manolete”, the bull fighter had an amazing dinner at Lhardys in 1944.
- And so many others…
Don´t miss the opportunity of visit the place, they keep a lot of old things that shall make you travel to other times, and… the food is amazing!!
If you want to know more details visit their website: http://lhardy.com
It is a little bit pricy but join them in the celebrations and enjoy its 125 anniversary menu!!
Instagram is one of the most popular social networks for pictures. Due to this thing to do is about Instragram don´t hesitate to check ours!! 365ThingsMadrid :)
Instagramers Gallery Madrid starts with 500 images selected between 27 users (photographers) from 18 countries: 200 are Madrid´s corners captured by Instagram users and other 66 are the awards ones in the Instagramers Photo Prize.
Pictures. Photography. New art = Instagram? what do you think about it? are the new social networks opening new channels for art open world wide thanks to Internet??
To answer to this question or have new thoughts don´t miss this great initiative.
Don´t miss also the online exhibite with more than 12.000 users and 11.000 followers: instagramersgallery.fundaciontelefonica.com
Madrid is having a great initiative: show palaces for free to public.
Tones of people have been interested really soon and nowadays any reservation is available, but make sure you follow carefully the website: http://www.bienvenidosapalacio.es/ because new opportunities to participate and visit the Palaces shall appear soon.
The guided tours are free and Madrid wants to make closer these incredible buildings and their history to the public:
- April was dedicated to Marqués de Fontalba Palaces, now it is the Fiscalía General del Estado.
- May – Palacete de don Guillermo de Osma. It is the current Valencia don Juan Institute.
- June – Fernán Núñez Palace. It is hosting the current Spanish Ferrocarril Foundation.
- July – Casa-palacio de don Manuel González-Longoria. Nowadays it is the Colegio Notarial de Madrid.
- August – Godoy Palace the current use is to hold the Centro de Estudios Políticos y Constitucionales.
- September - Bauer Palace the current Superior Singing School.
The visits are in small groups (25 people) and the guides are Patrimonio employees.
Check their website often to catch the new tours as soon as they are published!!!